As we embark on a two-part series devoted to “Spring Cleaning” your body and the effect of toxins on your body’s functioning, we begin with the end in mind: the effect of toxins on your liver.
Often given short shrift compared to other vital organs (heart, brain, lungs, kidneys) this three (3) pound “superhero” plays a major role in your body’s ability to detoxify. But the role of your liver in vitality goes WAY beyond detoxification. Your liver’s health effects how you think, feel and function. A foggy brain could mean a fatty liver.
In our 21st century lifestyles, both your liver and your adrenals (keys to your vitality and longevity) are taking a beating, due to a constant barrage of toxins in our daily lives. Some toxins are unavoidable, but much liver toxicity is caused by our own lifestyle choices.
In Part II, we will outline prevalent toxins and how to rid them from your body and your lifestyle. The following is an “homage” to your body’s 3-pound “super hero”, and why you should LOVE YOUR LIVER:
Is your cholesterol out of whack? High triglycerides or LDL? You need look no further than your liver’s functioning:
- The liver produces most of your HDL “good” cholesterol and special proteins to help carry fats throughout the body.
Has your doctor told you that you are low on iron?
- Your liver not only processes hemoglobin; it stores iron.
Are your joints hurting, or do you experience swelling in your toes, hands, or knees? It could be that you have gout, a type of arthritis that is especially painful.
- The liver plays a vital role in protein metabolism. Without a healthy liver, your body struggles to convert harmful ammonia to a safer form: urea. Gout is a build-up of uric acid in the body and can even show up in excruciating kidney stones.
Do you find that you are picking up every cold or virus that you are exposed to?
- The liver plays a vital role in your immune system. It not only removes pathogens “invaders”; it produces immune cells to help fight off infections.
Do you have low blood sugar, or do you feel shaky and irritable when you’re late for a meal?
- One of the most overlooked organs that is vital to blood sugar stabilization is the liver. It stores and releases glucose to regulate blood sugar levels. One of many causes of alcoholism could be drinking to relieve low blood sugar = one of the worst things you could do for a struggling liver.
Are you having trouble losing weight, no matter what kind of diet you’re on?
- The liver is one of the most important fat-burning power houses in your body. It produces bile (which helps metabolize fats, carbs, and proteins). A toxic liver struggles to maintain the essential processes of converting food to energy. Eventually, the liver itself becomes fatty.
Are you feeling utterly exhausted—no matter how much sleep you get?
- In addition to metabolizing food into energy, the liver stores many vital nutrients: vitamins A, D, E, K, B12, iron and copper (to name a few). Deficiencies in these nutrients causes fatigue.
Have you been told that your hormones are out of balance, or your hormones are low?
- The liver plays a key role in hormone balance—regardless of your age. Many young people are now diagnosed with low testosterone or estrogen dominance that could be caused or exacerbated by a sluggish liver. Your 3-pound “super hero” metabolizes hormones in the body.
THE LIVER’S SUPER POWER THAT MOST OF US KNOW…
- Your liver metabolizes alcohol and drugs and protects your body from toxins.
One of our generation’s great ironies is the amount of knowledge that is available to us, yet we continue to make unhealthy lifestyle choices.
Of those choices, the most toxic to the liver are drugs and alcohol. While some drugs are life sustaining and unavoidable, we need a healthy liver to help metabolize pharmaceuticals in our bodies.
And though, “the powers that be” attempt to convince us that moderate alcohol use is acceptable, your liver strongly disagrees.
While your liver is busy detoxifying your body from alcohol, it cannot perform its other functions we have outlined herein. Essential functions like metabolizing nutrients, balancing hormones, and storing glucagon become a lower priority for your liver than removing toxins.
If you are seriously trying to increase your fitness (and muscle) and lose fat, you cannot drink alcohol!
In January 2023, the World Health Organization published, No level of alcohol consumption is safe for our health. “Alcohol is a toxic, psychoactive, and dependence-producing substance and has been classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer decades ago – this is the highest risk group, which also includes asbestos, radiation and tobacco.” http://bit.ly/3Z4mGkl
In Part II, we will continue to outline common sources of toxins and provide proven strategies for ridding your body of those toxins. However, we chose not to address detoxification until we addressed the elephant in the living room: alcohol consumption. Included is drinking red wine (which alcohol producers continue to try to convince us is healthy).
Before we conclude Part I, let’s take a quick look at what is in that “healthy” glass of red wine. Core to our program at Rooted Holistic Health Coaching, we teach our clients to read food labels. However, it is rare (if not impossible) to find the ingredients of your favorite wine on its label.
The Bad and the Ugly:
Most wines today are highly processed and filled with additives that create serious health problems (and we’re not even talking about the alcohol yet). Like most coffees, wine-producing grapes are coveted substances. They are mass produced for economic gain and full of carcinogens, like preservatives. Almost all modern vineyards spray their crops with chemicals such as the weed killer Roundup that includes glyphosate. Most workers spraying these additives at vineyards must wear Hazmat suits.
We felt compelled in Love Your Liver_Leave the Toxins Behind, Part I to address the toxicity of alcohol on the liver as well as its effect on other organs. Long before a patient is diagnosed with cirrhosis (primarily caused by alcohol use/abuse), the functions of the liver are impaired by drinking alcohol: the cause of four (4) out of five (5) deaths from liver disease.
Feeling a little more tired than usual? Finding yourself reaching for that extra cup of coffee? Stop blaming Daylight Savings Time and look within. Your most important spring-cleaning task is to begin detoxifying your body!
As the weather starts to warm up and the flowers begin to bloom, it’s a perfect time to focus on renewal and rejuvenation. And what better way to kick off your spring-cleaning routine than with a 10-day body detox program? It’s the perfect kick-start to loving your liver!
Our program is designed to help you eliminate toxins from your body; boost your energy levels; reduce cravings; and improve your overall health and wellbeing. By following our Rooted Holistic Health Coaching plan, you’ll not only feel great, but you’ll also be doing something good for your body, and your liver will love you for it!
Our program includes:
- 10-day holistic detox success guide including what foods to eat to facilitate detoxification
- Comprehensive health assessment
- A variety of delicious and nutritious recipes
- Grocery shopping guide
- Daily support and motivation to keep you on track
- Expert guidance and advice throughout the 10-days
- 1-year access to program for you and a friend or loved one
- Exclusive access to client portal
- Over $799 value with program & bonuses!
Whether you’re looking to lose weight, improve digestion, increase energy levels, or just feel better overall, our 10-day body detox program is the perfect kick-start to a healthier, happier you!
BONUS: For a limited time save $50 off and receive a complimentary Root-Cause Health Assessment when you register for the 10-Day Detox Today!
Ready to get started or want to learn more? Check out more details or register HERE
Here’s to a new season of beautiful new beginnings!